"...In the dance of sun and water and sky. In the faces of the people who need us most and of the people we most need. In the smell of breakfast cooking on a charcoal fire. Who knows where we will find Him or whether we will recognize Him if we do? Who knows anything even approaching the truth of who He really was? But my prayer is that we will all of us find Him somewhere, somehow, and that He will give us something of his life to fill our emptiness, something of his light to drive back our dark"
-The Great Dance -Frederick Buechner

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Use what ya got (Part 2)

Books.... I just love 'em.

Yes, they are nice to read and all but I also love decorating with my most favourite books.  I think decorating with books is a great way to use what you've got when decorating your house.

I'll always remember walking into my friend Heidi's house a few  years back and noticing that she had colour coated her books into piles in her living room shelf.  I was impressed!

Yes, I did colour coat my  books when I got home.  In our new place I went away from the colour coating and I just had my fave's on a bookshelf in the living room 

When I took the picture below to show our newly painted coffee table I noticed i really did not like the way my bookshelf was looking anymore.  It had to go


I chose a few of my favourite reads and stacked them up on this little table which now sits where the white bin in the pic above is (right side of armoire) and the white bin got moved to where the bookshelf is... looks much better.


Although a few lucky ones got to stay in the living room as decorations, the rest of the books ended up sitting on my old coffee table in the corner of the office (my office currently acts as a graveyard for many unused pieces of furniture).


I was ready to put them in a rubbermaid and store them in the basement but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  

Then I remembered our big open closet in the master bedroom and the fact that I had seen a really big, awesome bookshelf in one of the bathrooms in a house I was in recently and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.  I mean, who doesn't want to read a book in the bathroom right!?

So now here is where my books sit.  They all fit in there perfectly and I am happy that I don't have to store them and I love the way they look.

Another bonus... I'm trying to encourage Nelson to not use a different towel everyday so now that there is only one shelf of towels in our bathroom he's not as tempted... Less laundry and less towels laying all over the floor:)



No comments: