"...In the dance of sun and water and sky. In the faces of the people who need us most and of the people we most need. In the smell of breakfast cooking on a charcoal fire. Who knows where we will find Him or whether we will recognize Him if we do? Who knows anything even approaching the truth of who He really was? But my prayer is that we will all of us find Him somewhere, somehow, and that He will give us something of his life to fill our emptiness, something of his light to drive back our dark"
-The Great Dance -Frederick Buechner

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Painting projects

I have painting projects stacked up a mile high.  Nels has picked up a few sweet finds at Michael's lately so now I just need to find the time to paint them.  Molly and I are currently suffering from gross, horrible colds which means no sleep at night so painting has gone down a few notches on the priority list.

A few weeks ago we did manage to get a table painted for Nels' sister for her birthday.  We actually have another one to do for ourselves too.  I just love how it turned out and it looks sweet in her awesome new place.

Along with the table I had also picked up a little shelf and towel rack at jysk for the guest bathroom so those had to get painted as well.  Can I just talk about jysk for a second??  Sometimes you'll find stuff here that is quite overpriced and cheap quality but other times the stuff is phenomenal.  We found duvet covers and sheet sets for 30$ and curtains for super cheap too.  Even if you wanted to do some DIY projects and just needed fabric I would recommend checking it out.  I was really impressed.

So here are our 3 painting projects ready to go.  I didn't use a primer for any of them, just a few good coats of paint.  In the future I might even sand off the shelf and towel rack for more of a distressed look


We covered the table in Benjamin Moore Blue Nose and then I debated doing some sort of a design on top.  To keep it clean and simple we taped off the edge with painters tape and did 2 or 3 coats of Benjamin Moore Hawthorne Yellow over the blue


This is how it turned out...I think it looks super sweet.  The colours go well together so I'm trying to think of another colour combination I could do for the next table.  I actually liked it so much I'm considering doing a yellow top for our coffee table that I painted which you can see here


Here's the bathroom with our finished projects, you can kind of see where they are in relation to each other.  The shelf is above the toilet and the towel rack is next to the shower


Here's a close-up of the towel rack... i might need to fill those holes and paint over but for now I'm just glad there's a place for towels


I love this shelf!  So cheap and functional:)






No comments: