Basically, I love this shower curtain. The colours are awesome and I bought it to make curtains for our little crawl space in the play room. I can't believe the cost of fabric... especially any fabric I actually like so when i found this Amy Butler curtain on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond for 12.99 i was super excited.
So the first thing I wanted to do was to make the curtains. I folded the fabric in half lengthwise and gave it a good iron
I pinned the edges so my cutting would be as accurate as possible
I laid the material out on the table and ironed it again.
so after I cut the fabric in half lengthwise I measured the length of the opening to our playroom tunnel and then cut the material again to match
to make a long story short I used a leftover iron on hem from some curtains I bought at ikea (iron on hems are AWESOME by the way) so I did this whole project with no sewing!!! Embarrassing right... especially coming from a home economics teacher. We still need to get some curtain rods so there's no pic of the finished product but the curtains are laying in the playroom waiting to be hung.
I had a bunch of leftover fabric which I was happy about because I saw this post on Young House Love for making a bulletin board and I had all the materials... AWESOME
I bought these brown cork boards awhile ago (from Michaels) and I had ribbon around them to jazz them up but i didn't love them and they really did not stay on the wall with the little sticky things they give you to hang them.
So i took off all the ribbon and lined 'em up
I read over the young house love tutorial and tried my hardest to do the same thing
I duct taped them all together and then duct taped the fabric on
I found there was some problems where the fabric overlapped so I had some of this Sew No More glue to glue the fabric down so it didn't stick out so much
As always, I had a plan B just in case this project didn't work out (its the teacher coming out of me... ALWAYS have a plan B). Even though it probably would have been ok I didn't really know how I was going to get this thing on the wall and duct taping the 4 cork pieces just didn't make them sturdy enough. Thankfully I had some of this hard board (not sure if that is the technical name) from home depot laying around the office so I went about gluing the fabric and cork on the board
Here are all my gluing methods I was about to try but thankfully the first one worked like a charm (Elmers wood glue). I put some pots and pans onto of the bulletin board to get the glue to set and in an hour the magic happened... it stuck together!
I screwed these hooks onto the board that you get in one of those picture hanging kits
I threw some wire through the screws (like what you do when you hang most ikea frames) and ta da... finished!
Here's the board with its shelf friends in the office
and here's what it looks like with a few things on it... even though I think the online pinboard idea that pinterest provides is amazing... I will always love a real life bulletin board with real life pictures.
All in all this was awesome because:
a) I was able to do all of this while Molly was napping
b) I killed 3 birds with one stone. I de-cluttered the office by using the fabric and hardboard plus I got my curtains hemmed and a bulletin board out of the deal
c) this cost me $0.00 because I had all the supplies:)